Currently, silencers are legal for private ownership in the following 40 states: AL, AR, AK, AZ, CO, CT, FL, GA, ID, IN, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MI, MO, MS, MT, NE, NV, NH, NM, NC, ND, OH, OK, OR, PA, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VA, WA, WV, WI, and WY.

Additionally, they may be owned by Class 3 dealers and Class 2 manufacturers?(but not individuals) in: CA, IA, and MA.

Territorial law prohibits possession in the Territories and Possessions of the United States. If your state is not listed, check with your local office of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, & Firearms. If they are not legal in your state of residence, we will not even entertain the idea of selling our NFA weapons to you. Please do not ask.

The process for purchasing one of our suppressors is to contact us directly. If you are a Va. resident we will handle every step of the transfer. If you live out of state we will find a class 3 dealer in your home state if you are unable to find one. We then transfer the weapon to your class 3 dealer. Your dealer will then assist you in completing the necessary paperwork to transfer the weapon to you. This will include your submitting fingerprints and two passport size photos on your application. In addition, your local chief law enforcement officer (sheriff or chief of police) will need to sign the application. Along with your $200 transfer tax, the application is sent to BATF. When the application is approved, your dealer turns over possession to you. In some cases where the local police will not sign the paperwork it is currently possible to transfer your weapon into a Trust, or corporation.

A non-licensed individual must take possession through a licensed dealer in his state of residence. In the case of Title 2 weapons (silencers, machine guns, SBRs, AOWs etc.), the dealer must be a class II manufacturer or a class 3 dealer.

The $200 transfer tax is assessed each time a Title 2 weapon changes hands. The exceptions are to and from a government agency or a class 3 dealer.

If you are eligible to own any conventional firearm, you are also eligible to own a Title 2 weapon provided that there are no state laws prohibiting such ownership. This means basically that you must be free of all felony convictions and be over 21 years of age.

Each time a Title 2 weapon gets transferred, the transfer must be approved in advance by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco & Firearms. It normally takes 4-5 weeks for BATF to approve the transfer between dealers or to law enforcement agencies, and the transfer to individuals requires 3-4 months.

Each change of possession or ownership of a Title 2 weapon (silencer, machine gun, sawed-off shotgun, short shotgun, A.O.W..) must be approved in advance by BATF. Failure to comply can result in a $250,000 fine, 10 years in prison, or both. Although the weapon can be moved by its registered owner within the owner’s state or residence, transportation across state lines requires prior BATF approval. These requirements were instituted by the National Firearms Act of 1934 and were incorporated into the Gun Control Act of 1968.

Visit our GEAR page to get your hands on all the latest apparel from TBA Suppressors.

Also check out our suppressor pouches to protect your investment.